The Evolution of The Treasury Building
In 1851, the grand Treasury Building was constructed under the auspices of Colonial Architect Mortimer William Lewis. It was the first purpose-built government office in Sydney. From its construction, the building welcomed a plethora of government officials and held the state’s riches whilst the first gold rush was underway.
In 1896, a separate fireproofed ‘Strong Room’ building was added (now The Treasury Room), and in 1901, this was connected to the original building by a bridging structure and completion of the grand staircase. This bridging building saw the installation of a new office for the state Treasurer and Premier (now the Premier’s Room). During WWI, between 1916 and 1919, an Edwardian Baroque-style domed extension was planned to extend along Bridge and Phillip Streets and enclose the building around a beautiful courtyard. Only the original Bridge Street extension was completed. The courtyard was instead later enclosed over 60 years later with the construction of the hotel, forming The Cortile – where modernity meets history.
Over time the estate was repurposed, utilised by the Ministry for Transport and Police Department until 1967, when it was finally left abandoned.
Transformation into InterContinental Sydney
Reimagined as a new luxury travel destination, in 1985 the InterContinental Sydney opened its doors. Much of the original heritage building was restored, with luxurious comforts and contemporary guest spaces throughout. We are proud to now share the significant history of The Treasury Building and its role within Sydney with guests and visitors.